Colombia – Cordillera – Sugar Cane DECAF
$25.00 – $44.00 — or subscribe and save 15%
Sugar Cane Process – Decaffinated
|Origin||Colombia – Planadas and Canon de Las Hermosas|
|Flavour||Upfront milk chocolate, raw sugar and super sweet dried apricots.|
|Varietal||Castillo & Caturra|
Everybody jokes and laughs about how much Decaf sucks. We laugh at them, because this is simply false. Decaf is never prepared with the same amount of love and care normal coffee does, this is why it always tastes weak and watery. We put just as much effort into roasting this coffee as our highest scoring coffees. If you’re a decaf drinker this needs to be on your shortlist!
Tasting Notes: Notes of heavy milk chocolate, moving into some serious sweetness like panela and a gentle Dried Apricot aftertaste.
Roasters thoughts: “Our Colombia suppliers thought it would be funny to put a decaf on our tasting table, this scored higher than normal coffees on the cupping table. We had no choice but to buy it because it was just delightful! Soooooooooooooo sweet!”
Sugar Cane Decaffination Process:
- Green coffee is received, sorted and prepared for processing.
- Coffee is steamed for 30 minutes prior to decaffeination.
- A low-pressure steaming process has opened the pores of the coffee, allowing for caffeine extraction.
- Coffee is placed in a solution of water and Ethyl Acetate (E.A.) a naturally occurring compound and solvent derived through the fermentation of sugarcane.
- Green coffee is submerged in the sugar cane extract, which naturally bonds to the salts of chlorogenic acids within the coffee, allowing for the extraction of caffeine.
- Once the coffee is saturated, the tank is drained and fresh solution is introduced. This continues for about 8 hours.
- After the last of caffeine has been extracted, the coffee is removed from the solution and prepped for another steaming.
- The final low-pressure steaming removes the remaining traces of E.A.
- Decaffeinated coffee is then dried, physically polished to ensure cleanliness, and packaged to export.
Whole Beans, Ground – Espresso, Ground – Filter/Pour Over, Ground – French Press, Ground – Stovetop
This coffee smells and tastes delicious.
Taste and aroma better than many normal blends. Highly recommended to the savvy decaf community
Boy, did this smell good. A rolling of the eyes good! The taste is smooth and delicate. Very nice.
Very happy I found this Decaf coffee. Certainly the best I’ve had and I love knowing that it’s local and when it was roasted. My husband loves it and he’s fussy 😊
I was skeptical about decaf tasting as good as regular coffee. This flavour was my favourite in the decaf range.